SHE values and pillars
On the European level, the following SHE core values and pillars are shared that underpin the health promoting school approach:
SHE core values
- Equity. Equal access for all to education and health
- Sustainability. Health, education and development are linked. Activities and programmes are implemented in a systematic way over a prolonged period
- Inclusion. Diversity is celebrated. Schools are communities of learning, where all feel trusted and respected
- Empowerment. All members of the school community are actively involved
- Democracy. Health promoting schools are based on democratic values.
- Whole school approach to health promotion. Combine health education in the classroom with development of school policies, the school environment, life competencies and involving the whole school community
- Participation. A sense of ownership by student, staff and parent
- School quality. Health promoting schools create better teaching and learning processes and outcomes. Healthy pupils learn better, healthy staff work better
- Evidence. Development of new approaches and practices based on existing and emerging research.